Author Topic: Committee to make the Libertarian Party libertarian again  (Read 3582 times)

libertypenguin

• View Profile
Committee to make the Libertarian Party libertarian again
« on: June 06, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
When I first joined the Libertarian Party in 1999, it was proudly known as “The Party of Principle.” We are now at a crossroads. One path is clean and clear and goes to the horizon. The other path, not so much. There’s potholes, there’s trees, there’s logs in the road. We have to work to clear the path. That path is the difficult path. The Pilgrims who came here four hundred years ago had a difficult path. The western settlers who traveled west on roads that did not exist had a difficult path. We are trying to go down that path if we stay true to liberty, or we can go down the path that looks clear. But at what appears to be the end of the horizon is a cliff. We must answer the question: Will the Party actually be the Party of Principle again?
The Libertarian Party Platform Preamble states Libertarians seek “a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.” And the Statement of Principles states, “We, the members of the Libertarian Party, challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights of the individual.”
However, in the past couple of years I've encountered members of the Party who support taxation, regulation, and licensing in the name of “the greater good.” I've met Party members who want to restrict human migration, and members who want the military to intervene in conflicts around the globe. This hardly sounds like “challeng[ing] the cult of the omnipotent state and defend[ing] the rights of the individual”!
For too many election cycles the Libertarian Party has nominated Presidential candidates who have claimed they can bring more members to the Party or get a certain vote percentage by delivering a watered down message of liberty. I deliver this a warning about the future, because I have seen the past. In 1996 the Reform Party reached 8%. In 2000 it received a federal welfare check. There are some within this party that want the Libertarians to take a federal welfare check. I don’t want that to happen because it killed the Reform Party. In 2012 the Reform Party had ballot access in three states, just 12 years after getting a federal welfare check. If we, the members of the Libertarian Party, compromise what we believe to take a federal handout, this party will die. I don’t want that to happen. I want you to help me, help you make the Libertarian Party libertarian again.
Now is the time for the Libertarian Party to again be the Party of Principle. Now is the time to make the Libertarian Party libertarian again!

Adam Kokesh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Committee to make the Libertarian Party libertarian again
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »
I'm with you! Where can we sign up to be a part of this effort?
Just read the book.

FreedomIsOurDestiny

• Be happy. Be free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:06 AM »
I do agree that the party has strayed from the principles it has set forth in its platform.  The inherent problem is the same as that of government.  By calling it a party, it becomes a collective.  While the term "party" may be necessary to operate under the rules imposed by the state, it does not need to become the identity.  The only way I see it working is if individuals agree to collaborate voluntarily to adhere to these principles (which is what they agree to by becoming a party member).  This means living these principles as much as possible while maintaining self-preservation and avoiding conflict with those that claim authority. 

If we start to live what we believe, we will create tangible proof to skeptics, to see that it is possible and that we will not devolve into chaos (why are there so many tv shows and movies depicting this???). 

I am speaking with an outside perspective and acknowledge some of my assumptions about the LP may be incorrect.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

― Mark Twain

Magnaniman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 06:42:02 PM »
If you want a party that is free of subversion, you must remove open democracy.  Make its selection processes a closed event in which only chosen people, whose adherence to the values of the party are absolute, are allowed to participate.  If people don't like that, they are free to vote for someone else in the general election.  The idea that democracy should be used to dictate who may participate in democracy is fundamentally flawed because it opens the door to bribery and other forms of corruption while limiting the exposure of individuals that have good ideas.

The LP literally sells votes in its selection process in the form of charging for "membership."  It seems pretty obvious to me how that process can be co-opted.

That being said, I still think that the success of the GJ/Weld ticket will begin to move this behemoth in the right direction.  I think that ending our wars, committing to peaceful interactions with the rest of the world, and ending foreign aid to dictatorships will be a huge step for humanity at large.  That, at least, I believe that I can count on Johnson and Weld to do.

AndrewG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:06 PM »
These go here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGK-IbEW3LQ&feature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/JuTks_ikfuc?t=244

(Skipped Adam's part)

Patriot- Act/ Iraq war supporting Bill Weld? Yeah, that seems like a real fucking march towards freedom.
Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium