Author Topic: Is it moral for a reformed unemployed disabled military veteran to collect  (Read 5323 times)

Mikerydinsky

• View Profile
Would you say that it is immoral for a disabled unemployed veteran to collect VA Disability checks? I have struggled with this idea. Yes we signed a contract with the federal Government when we very stupidly joined the military for obviously misguided reasons. When we are injured, it is part of said contractual agreement that they will pay us for our injuries and give us healthcare.
However, the healthcare is paid for their extorted funds by all people within the imaginary borders of the USA and so is the Disability.
What are your thoughts on this?
How about you Adam?

Magnaniman

I think you would be extremely hard-pressed to find a single person in this country who would not consent to supporting disabled veterans.  Of all of the things that government spends money on, I think that this is, probably, the most universally supported use of government.

I really don't think this is something you should feel bad about for even a fraction of a second.  If you ever happen to meet someone that disagrees with supporting veterans, if you want, you could give them a penny as a lifetime reimbursement for the portion of their tax dollars that you have received.

Mikerydinsky

• View Profile
I like the idea of the penny.
I just feel moral quandry with the idea of taking taxpayer money.
I violated my morals for so long that nowadays I live an extremely principled life... Which tends to get me a lot of flack from the "violate the pledge" libertarians, like all of the Gary Johnson supporters.

If I could find a job I would say to heck with disability. (Im still not recieving it yet anyway... Sometime between june 16th and october 26 I should recieve it according to ebenefits.va.gov) right now I am back to being homeless and living in my moms house (worst feeling ever for someone who supported himself for 15 years on his own.

Magnaniman

I think the idea of "supporting yourself on your own" is kind of flawed.  We're social creatures.  We *NEED* community to survive.  There's no shame in receiving help when you need it.

If you want to pitch in more, there are plenty of things to do besides making money.  Gardening might be a good place to start.  I like it; it gets me outside, helps to offset the cost of groceries, and keeps me busy.  I don't know what problems you're dealing with, so, if that's not an option, you could also volunteer your time with any sort of group.

As far as taking VA disability goes...  As long as we're being robbed at gunpoint, there is no nobler cause for that money than trying to make reparations for the other awful things that have been done it.  I do agree that a noble cause, such as supporting disabled veterans, is not a legitimate reason to rob people, but, since it's happening already, we should be working to ensure that money goes towards fulfilling legitimate contracts the government has entered into on our behalf.

Canaan Myskowski

• Truth is Treason
    • View Profile
This is one area where I don't mind my tax dollars going.

Unfortunately the VA is so corrupt that I would rather make a private donation instead.
In the real world

Mikerydinsky

• View Profile
I would love to see humanity come together and make a private veterans hospital and private VA assistance program. One that would be voluntarily contributed to.
Shhhh I havent paid taxes since 2008 ;)

Magnaniman

If you're looking for a project...  There you go.

Spencer

• View Profile
I'm in a similar situation as I'll begin collecting VA disability payments soon. I have differing thoughts on it all. In the end the money is acquired through immoral means obviously, so there's a bit of guilt on the moral side, but I (try) to justify it as much as possible. If I turned it down in defiance of the entire system, nothing would change, and that $ would still be spent by the gov't somewhere. So on an individual level it's a drop in the ocean of difference, similar to large scale voting.
I don't think it's owed to me however. I'd prefer any and all benefits and payments be voluntarily provided, and I think our society could easily do it. But state control of our VA and healthcare systems is the reality for now. So I will take the $$, but I won't support the process.

TwentyEcho

Exact same situation and moral thoughts as you all and I tend to think about a video Adam made about the issue and he referenced the idea of "Bleeding the system". Now this is of course a very slow bleed of a little amount with all things considered but ultimately I think that if this were a private company I worked for and I sustained similar injuries in the line of duty/work I would prefer to work for a company that would properly compensate me. If enough people held that preference and voiced that opinion, in theory, the market would respond and thus it would be common practice, as oppose to government regulation.

So in short I'm not opposed to the idea of compensation for disability acquired in the process of doing your job (regardless of the moral, ethical or legal standards or practices of doing that job) as much as the method through which the money is gained.