You are Here:
Education ideas

Author (Read 4638 times)

Education ideas
« on: June 21, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »

Mike26

• View Profile
What are your ideas on education? I know self learning is huge, and mediums like khan academy and AppleU provide resources. I have a friend in Ardmore, OK who is involved in an interesting education venture. They promote localism, community, volunteerism, and kids learning what they want how they want. Check them out here for a more comprehensive look:

https://www.facebook.com/ardmoreindependent/

Re: Education ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »

AnarchoRyan

• View Profile
My wife is a teacher in a private school run under a Classical model. I personally love the model. Based on ideas from ancient Greece, children are not only taught facts, but they're taught grammar, logic, and rhetoric (basics of knowledge, then how to form consistent ideas, then how to defend those ideas). The children that graduate are incredible. Each senior must compose a thesis throughout their Senior year that they then present to leaders in the school & community and must defend it like a dissertation. The one that stood out to me this year was entitled "A critique of the ethics of the new atheists compared to Ayn Rand's more philosophically consistent ethics of selfishness." Really cool model. Not overly authoritarian, private, and it cultivates reason and defense of reason.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »

SurfManDan280

• View Profile
Can you give some more information on that school? We have a son that is almost two and are researching alternative school options in our area. Thank you!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:04:50 AM »

AnarchoRyan

• View Profile
Can you give some more information on that school? We have a son that is almost two and are researching alternative school options in our area. Thank you!
Sure! Full disclosure, her school is distinctly Christian, but there are non-religious classical schools out there. Here's her school's website if you want to poke around. I'm also happy to answer any direct questions you have...

http://covenantfw.org/

This link explains a little more on classical education.
http://covenantfw.org/about/mission-philosophy/why-classical-education/

Of special note, all students begin to learn Latin in 3rd grade and continue through high school, and high school students study Greek. They even read Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, and others in the Greek. Super cool.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:11:34 AM by Ryan! »

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »

SurfManDan280

• View Profile
Hey Ryan!, thank you for providing that information. As we explore different options its always helpful to hear from other parents on what has worked for them and what has not.

Right now we are in the stages of teaching by discovery. My Wife works at home and spends time teaching our son about the world in and around our neighborhood with water, dirt, animals, gardening and playing. He attends a Montesssori school 3 days each week to help with social interaction skills. His curiosity is astounding and we do our best to provide constructive playful activities to keep him growing and learning every day.

I can't imagine sending him off to a state run indoctrination camp, especially with the common core standards. In Florida our governor is trying to push common core standards even on to private schools. Do you see this same push in Texas?

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »

AnarchoRyan

• View Profile
Yes, Texas schools are horrible. My wife couldn't believe the crap she saw when student teaching. She's convinced a few other teachers to leave public schools to come teach at Covenant. Plus, public schools are just coercive and immoral ;)

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:24:53 AM »

Lorie

• View Profile
I live in Georgia and am able to homeschool my children. After looking into nearby public schools once my oldest became school age, my husband and I agreed to try homeschooling. We did not like the incentive and reward programs the schools conducted... among other things. I stumbled upon this book, "The Well-Trained Mind" by Jesse Wise and Susan Wise Bauer, and it's been my guide on this educational journey with my children. It's classical and based on the trivium. I just recently learned about classical education and the trivium. We tried Montessori, but it was a flop (and expensive). Anyway, I don't follow the book precisely... I use it as a guide. As long as the kids are happy and learning, and I'm not stressing out and yelling at everyone... it's all good.